The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Stats
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) has been officially enforced since May 28 of 2018
While it was officially created in Europe, every global business whose current or future customers may be located in Europe can be legally affected by the regulation.
On January 25, 2019, the European Commission issued the most recent numbers and updates on that important online privacy regulation:
- Telemarketing and promotional emails are the two GDPR breaches that are most often reported to EU national data protection authorities
- Almost 100,00 complaints have been lodged with EU national data protection authorities since the regulation went into effect
- The data protection authorities have started 250 investigations in the context of EU cross-border data processing activities
- There have been three fines issues so far:
- €5,280 fine on a sport betting café for unlawful video surveillance
- €20,000 fine on a social network operator for failing to protect users’ personal data.
- €50 million fine on Google for alleged GDPR violations (The biggest fine in GDPR history so far)
For legal consultation concerning the privacy regulations and how it may impact your business, refer to a qualified lawyer.